Job Band : D
Reporting to : Horticultural Manager
Employees reporting to role : Has direct administrative line management for an Office Administrator, a Senior Head Gardener, and indirect made up of Gardeners, working under the guidance of Horticultural Managers.
Financial Responsibilities : As delegated
Purpose of Job : Overall responsibility for the maintenance of 32 burial grounds (12,780 commemorations) in Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco and to represent the Commission. The post is responsible for the implementation of organisational policy, including approved working practices, health and safety procedures, environmental and Commission policies relating to conduct and behaviour. The position is based in Tunisia.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Implements the Area Management Plan, including works and horticultural projects and maintains accurate records of cemetery technical data and plans.
- Promotes the safe use of horticultural machinery and vehicles and ensuring safe working practices; recording accidents, near misses and taking appropriate action to effectively manage risk.
- Gathers and provides information as required of the Area Health & Safety Action Plan.
- Plans and manages the winter work programme in agreement with the Horticulture Manager.
- Assists the Works Manager with arrangements for training and carrying out work outside the region including obtaining quotations for works contracts.
- Orders and purchases supplies. Identifies replacement and new machinery in conjunction with the Horticulture and Works Managers.
- Inspects the Commission’s cemeteries and memorials in Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco regularly.
- Ensures the Commission is recognised and represented in the preparation of ceremonial events within Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco (for example 1914-18 centenary anniversaries).
Financial & Risk Management
- Responsible for the production and authorisation of the monthly accounts in accordance with current accounting practices and within agreed delegated regional budget and
financial delegated authority per transaction.
- Ensures all work practices have been risk assessed, COSHH assessments are in place and LOLER and PUWER checks made at defined intervals with guidance from the Technical Services Department when required.
- Manages the performance, development and standards of behaviour for the direct reports and oversees the performance management of the wider regional team through delegation. Identifies training needs for the whole staff compliment and highlights any skills gaps.
- Delivers training in order to maintain and improve the staff skills base. Conducts regular team meetings to update staff on all aspects of operations.
- Regular travel within Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco and to other countries within the Area to ensure additional projects are carried out.
Key contacts and relationships
- Responsible to the Area Horticultural Manager
- Line manager to the Office Administrator and the Senior Head Gardeners
- Indirect line management responsibility for 15 gardeners
- Receives and assists visiting dignitaries, war veterans and relatives.
- Accompanies Area office and HO officials when required.
- Maintains and develops contacts with local authorities, contractors or individuals where this may be of use in facilitating the work of the Commission.
- Ensures that the Commission is recognised and included in preparation and activities relating to 1914-18 centenary anniversaries.
- Liaising with officials of all nations in the arrangements for Remembrance Day services
- Day to day liaison with colleagues within Area and Head Office.
Knowledge & qualifications/experience required
- Good command of written and spoken English, French and Arabic.
- Project Management experience.
- A recognised technical/management/administration qualification (BTEC/HND or equivalent) or relevant experience working in a supervisory position.
- Thorough knowledge of organisational policies, horticultural standards and practices.
- A clean driving licence and the ability to drive safely.
- Microsoft Office including Outlook
- A knowledge of works standards and practices, is desirable.
Competencies & Key Skills (functional/technical)
- Leadership – Provides direction and guidance to the Administrator, anda gardening staff to take forward the Area Management plan and Corporate Objectives.
- Communication – Fosters and develops productive relationships with staff, local officials, outside agencies and dignitaries at all levels to ensure the smooth running of the region. The ability to take dignitaries for tours tailored to their interests. Has good oral and written skills.
- Personal Effectiveness – Able to work with a high degree of autonomy organising their work to meet deadlines set by the line manager or Director. Willing to accept increased responsibility.
- Planning and Organisational Skills – Able to prioritise the allocation of resources in order to successfully execute agreed work programmes. Is sensitive to the need to work flexibly, and at times, beyond conditioned working hours in the region. Uses the resources wisely and economically.
- Service Delivery – Has good administrative, numerical and IT skills and promulgates sound H&S practices, providing the service required by the general public and Head Office Departments.
- Resource Management – Works within a budget, negotiates keenly with local suppliers.
- Application of Specialist Expertise – Uses their knowledge effectively in taking forward the goals of the Commission. Has an understanding of the extreme climatic conditions and be able to adopt working practices accordingly.
- Management Skills – Monitors standards and conduct, provides coaching and assistance when required to motivate staff to give their best. Deals effectively with poor performance. A good team worker who recognises the contributions made by others.
This is not a fully exhaustive list of duties as no job description could fully outline all the aspects of this role as the job holder may be required to carry out other duties to enable them to perform the function efficiently.
To apply send English Cv + photo :
50374550/ 50503836/ 71906002
|Job Category||Management, ٍSupervisor|